Friday, May 10, 2013

Salt Marshes and War Paint

As the end of the year approaches, it is most rewarding to experience the growth in many of my students.  Teaching students in a recovery high school as opposed to an alternative school has one main difference: the students are all drug free.  They have all at one point made the decision to attend this school and make the commitment to staying sober.  This one difference makes all the difference as a teacher.  The journey of recovery for the students takes me on the ride with them.  I am there for the early stages of their recovery when all of the choices that they have made is every one's fault but their own and there is no sense of accountability.  I am there for the moment when clarity sets in and the process of reflection begins.  I am there for the aluminum sobriety coins that they collect each month that they remain clean.  I am there for the relapse that brings them back to step one and the feeling of disappointment that sets in.  Finally, I am there for the moment that staying sober becomes "not so bad."  I see the students when they are most terrified about facing themselves and their issues instead of getting high and burying it within the depths of their soul.

Today the students embarked on a journey to Prudence Island in which they learned about the salt marshes and  themselves.  Upon our arrival to the boat, there were many protests about having to wear dirty rubber boots.  The first student to shrug his shoulders and throw the boots on quickly made it easier for the rest of them to follow suit.  It was a pleasure to witness the camaraderie among the group when they began to tease one another for wearing the salt marsh boots.  As the boat made its way down the bay, I looked around and saw some students chatting to pass the time and some listening to music.  A few that caught my eye were the ones that appeared so deep in thought.  It looked as if they were taking mental photographs of the ocean beauty around them so that they might remember this moment always.  I began to wonder what was going through their minds.  Many of my students have never experienced boat rides or the sights that we saw today.  I felt they had a sense of deep gratitude for this experiential learning trip cosidering it was the first and probably the last time they would go to Prudence Island to work on a salt marsh.

While the students worked in groups to explore the life found in the salt marshes, it was rewarding to watch them work closely with one another and get their hands dirty in the mud.  The instructor explained that the mud in the salt marshes was equivalent to the mud that they use in spas, and proceeded to put some on calling it "war paint."  None of the students including myself were brave enough to put some on.  After some time of exploring in the salt marshes, one of the students made the decision to put some "war paint" on.  I smiled as I saw him walk towards me with it smeared on his cheeks and forehead.  Since this is a student that suffers from extreme social anxiety at times, this was a brave moment for him in front of his peers.  This makes me realize how this school has truly become a family for this student if he feels this comfortable with the group.  His peers teased him in a friendly way and it made some of the others suddenly decide to get at least their hands dirty in the mud.  My takeaway from the whole trip today is that even if the others did not feel comfortable applying "war paint" to their faces while exploring the salt marsh, they all have on war paint everyday that society does not see.  They each have their obstacles, fears, and triumphs that they go through in order to learn about themselves and continue to grow into young adults.  They are true warriors fighting each day to stay sober in a not so sober world, and for that I am proud each and every time that they make the right choice.

1 comment:

  1. Eloquently said. Your students are incredibly lucky to have you--and I am so proud to call you my friend. You rock, Mrs. Long!

    ReplyDelete