Friday, May 31, 2013

Being the Duck

The end of the year is coming fast!  21 days to be exact, but who is counting?  When I look at the calendar on my phone and see how close the end of the year I have that overwhelming feeling settle in.  I have planning for next week's graduation to get finished, papers to grade, reading assessments to administer to the kids, and the list continues.  The list continues too far down the page really. 

Even though I feel like I am flailing in the middle of the ocean sometimes, I am reminded of one of my great professors from my undergrad who always told us to "be the duck."  When I first heard her say this I remember thinking, what the hell is she talking about?  As she proceeded to explain her metaphor it made more and more sense to me.  She explained the importance of maintaining calm, cool, collective, and graceful on the surface even if our feet were kicking wildly to stay afloat below.  I instantly loved this.  It helped me during my student teaching to calm down whenever I started to feel like I was going to blow it with my students and show them I didn't have my stuff together.  Of course I didn't have my stuff together, I had no idea what I was doing then! 

Now as the year closes, and I go home each night stressed to the max about the things on my to-do list I repeat this mantra to myself-be the duck, be the duck.  It is something I have to continue to work on when I get those feelings that a meltdown is on the way.  I have to remember that my students look to me for strength and consistency in their sometimes crazy world.  I know that it would detrimental in several ways to take out my frustration on them or to even "vent" to them about how much I have to do.  Students should never be burdened with all that we have to do as teachers.  It is unfair for a teacher to come in and state to them, "if you only knew how many hours I worked just for you and sacrifice..."  They wouldn't listen!  And why should they?  It's my job to do what's best for the kids-no questions asked.  They need not feel bad for me when I am working in the profession I chose and am so lucky to be a part of.

As I end my fourth year teaching, I am proud of myself when some of my students say that even though I have high expectations for them at all times, they never really know when I am having a bad day because I don't take it out on them.  For me, this is what it means to "be the duck."  I have to remind myself to leave the baggage at the door and give them my 110% even if I feel like I am running at 50% with blood pressure through the roof due to stress.  Being the duck truly applies to one's life, not just teaching.  Take things one moment at a time, try not to take it out on those around you, and breathe. 

1 comment:

  1. Teaching helped me learn how to be a better "duck". So glad you shared this! I think I needed a reminder of what a great "duck" I can be :)

    And I think it's vital that teachers are a consistant force in our kiddos lives--teachers who bring their baggage inside the classroom are less effective than ones who don't--and our kids KNOW it! Plus, isn't it nice to know that they can tell when you're a little off your game and be compassionate and wonderful (because they know usually you've got it so together!) If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete