Sunday, May 26, 2013

Penguin Plunging in May

This week has been a week of reminiscence for me.  Last year for Memorial Day week I went with all of my seniors to Cape Cod for their senior trip.  Being that the alternative school was small, the seniors consisted of one class of about 13 students.  Since the seniors all needed their last year of English I was like the senior teacher of the building.  These kids also held a special place in my heart since many of them I had as sophomores my first year teaching.  We brought the kids to a resort on the Cape and each adult roomed with 3-4 kids in a small apartment.  The three girls that I roomed with were a joy to be with and we had a close relationship, so I knew we would have fun. 

We began the day with whale watching and the second we got on the boat it was funny to hear some of the kids' thoughts about being on a boat.  Some mentioned never having been on a boat, fear of it sinking, and the hope that we would get to see some whales.  It was a beautiful morning and the sun was warm on our faces as the boat made its way out to sea.  I watched the kids interact with each other and it was so great to see so many of them laughing and smiling.  For many of them, the year had been very a rough road.  One student was on her way to motherhood at 7 months pregnant and going to college in the fall, another getting ready to go off into the Marines, and the list goes on.  I remember tears stinging my eyes as I watched them during this time that they could be so carefree.  So many of them had never gone very far out of the city and so this was a special treat for them.  The gods of whales must have been smiling down on us that day because we got to see so many and they all took several pictures to keep with them always.

We finished off the day taking the students to a Brazilian restaurant and this was also a huge treat for them.  They were so taken aback with the food, the service, and the pricing; it was a new world to a lot of them.  One student remarked that having linen napkins was impressive and we all chuckled.  It was a wonderful feeling for me to sit around a dinner table with these kids that all held a special place in my heart. 

When we arrived back at the resort later that evening a dare came up for the boys to run into the ocean.  Since it was still May the water couldn't have been more than 50 degrees.  The boys decided they wouldn't turn down the dare and so we all gathered with our I-Phones to capture a few pictures and cheer them on.  At this moment, I realized how much of a camaraderie had developed among all of these kids.  They all felt so comfortable with one another.  For many of them, trusting others and allowing people in is so difficult due to the experiences of hurt they have in the past.  It was a beautiful trip and a heartwarming experience to have with them. 

Earlier this year, one of the girls that I remain friends with on Facebook and talk to regularly had told me something that still has stayed with me.  She and I had a good relationship towards the end of that year when we went on that trip, but during the entire year we constantly butted heads due to her missing class and not completing her work and her attitude.  She told me she had written an essay about me in her composition class and so I laughed saying it must have been to write about a teacher you disliked.  She responded by telling me that it was to write about a favorite teacher and that she chose me because she learned so much from me.  She said I always held her accountable and never let her make excuses.  I gave her high expectations and always believed in her.  I was floored!  This is a comment that stays with me always.  This allowed me to see that all I do does in fact have a purpose and that in some cases I have reached some. 

Now that she has a child of her own, I am confident that she will be a wonderful mother.  I am confident that she will give her son the boundaries in life that he needs along with the love and affection he also needs.  I know she will make something of herself and I know she will always remain in my heart.  Penguin plunging in May will always be etched in my memory.


1 comment:

  1. Love it! And I'm not surprised you made an impression by holding her to high standards. It's so important that kids--especially ones that have been labeled their whole lives--are reminded that we KNOW they can rise to the challenge of doing better! Half of the problem is that kids who are told over and over again that they can't do better, don't try to do better--they become a self-fulfilling prophecy--so glad you remind them that they don't have to fit in the mold the outside world has given them! It's so easy to label kids as "alternative" and expect less from them (and they know it)--I know you've always taken the rough road by expecting better. That's what makes you an amazing teacher--that leaves an impression on more people than you could ever know.

    ReplyDelete